You may think you know, because you are either a cat person or a dog person — but let’s put you to the test:
According to a SURVEY BY APPA, WHICH IS THE MOST POPULAR PET?
First, since we know you’re going to ask — the APPA is the American Pet Products Association, and they’ve been doing an annual National Pet Owners Survey since 1998. So they kinda know what they’re talking about when it comes to America’s pets.
Did you know that 40% of all households that have pets have more than one pet? In 2010, the survey found
- 3/4 of all pet households have either a dog or a cat
- After horses – which can be a pretty big purchase for any pet lover — dogs were the most expensive pet to purchase, averaging at $364
- Its estimated that pet owners will spend over $11,000 on their pet during its lifetime
But you didn’t come to Web Watch for those stats. You wanted to know which was the most popular pet – cats or dogs. Well, here are what the survey said America’s pet population consists of:
- 78 million dogs
- 86.4 million cats
- 151.1 million freshwater fish
- 16.2 million birds
- 13 million reptiles
- 7.9 million horses
And a few others, of course. Web Watch doesn’t really count ant farms as pets. Do you?
- Sleeping with your pets can lead to disease
- The secret to being social? Having a big brain
- The most popular spice found in homes today? Dry Garlic Powder
- Video Fun: Reservoir Dogs mashup videos meet Cee-Lo Green’s F*** YOU
- The Top Ten Most Popular Halloween Costumes for 2010 are…
- How to be popular on Facebook