There have been any number of sociological reports written about how the Disney Princess marketing department — and let’s face it, the Disney Princess franchise really is a marketer’s dream in terms of how much product is sold — is leading to poor self-image in young girls.
- From Newsweek: Do Disney Princesses Make Young Girls Obsessed with Thinness?
- The Disney Princess Project: Damsel in Distress: How the Disney Princess Influences Young Girls’ Self Esteem
- From Dr Robyn Silverman: Are Disney Princesses Sexualizing Your Daughters?
Web Watch won’t harp on these particular topics.
We will, however, point out the following: What Disney Princesses Teach Women about Attracting a Man
- Belle, Snow White and Sleeping Beauty: can only be saved with a kiss. It’s always about sex.
- Aladdin’s Jasmine: You only become worth having if you’re marriage material
- Cinderella: the only reason the Prince noticed her was because of her beauty. Not because she was smart, or worked hard.
- Ariel: Running away from home? Check. Changing your physical appearance? Check. Giving up the only thing you’re good at to acquire a man? Check.
That being said, here’s What Disney Princes Teach Men about Attracting Women:
- Cinderella’s Prince Charming: Try a little charm, wealth, and fame.
- Sleeping Beauty’s Prince Philip: Strangers want you to make out with them while they sleep
- The Little Mermaid’s Prince Eric: Women have nothing important to say
- The Prince from Snow White: Necrophilia is a good dating strategy
- Aladdin: Just lie, it’ll totally work
- Beast: Stockholm Syndrome
- …and of course, be handsome, famous, and rich
The post is part of the DisMarks.com Disney Blog Carnival;
click on the link for more great Disney articles.
- Brianna Garcia’s Disney Princess art gallery inspires real-life Princess photo
- Want some twisted takes on Disney Princesses? Check out Jeffrey Thomas’ art gallery
- A Disney Dilemma: What will autistic children like Ben Miles do without the Snow White attraction?
- Photographer Ryan Astamendi takes Real-life Disney Princesses photos
- Disney: Official Unofficial Rules for Beers Around The World at Epcot
- One family’s quest to go one year without Disney