Living together before marriage: it’s not exactly a growing trend, it’s just something that’s been done for years and years.
Heck, if you want to get technical, Adam and Eve “lived together” in Biblical times. There certainly wasn’t a priest around to make their arrangement an official “marriage”, if you will.
And while Web Watch knows that some parents are perfectly fine with the permanent roommate situation that living together brings, we also know of some couples who purposefully hide their living arrangements from the parental units. It’s all about avoiding the wrath and disappointment of the parents, combined with the realization that the living-in-sin couple might have to pay for their own wedding arrangements, we assume. To each their own. Whatever works.
So here’s where it gets interesting. Apparently, those that live together in today’s times are actually doing what 4 out of 5 couples do anyway, whether it be for financial reasons (why own two apartments or homes if we don’t have to) or for getting a jumpstart on the early marriage lifestyle.
So says a new SURVEY ON MARRIAGE AND DATING TRENDS. Some of the other things that the survey found include:
- Bossy/dominant, decision-making women have less sex than women who are more submissive
- Married couple exercise less and may be more obese. (Hey, we’re working on it!)
- Don’t want to get married or engaged? Try a “stayover relationship” instead
- How To Live Longer: Don’t Live in Washington DC
- Reasons why you’re still not married
- America has chosen the best (and worst) celebrity couples of 2010
- Wedding Statistics
- Divorce is 38% more likely to occur if the wife earns 60% or more of family’s income