How many Facebook friends do you have?
No, really — how many of the people you have “friended” on Facebook are really, honestly your friends? People that you know IRL (that’s “In Real Life” for those of you who don’t know), that you would talk to anyway over the matter of course?
Yeah, we thought so. You really only know about what – 130 people, tops? So whatcha doing with that Facebook friend list that’s hovering around the 462 person mark?
So what are the main reasons that PEOPLE ADD YOU or DROP YOU AS A FACEBOOK FRIEND?
Did you know that 82% of the time you add someone as a Facebook Friend, you’re doing it because you really do know them in real life? 60% of the time it’s because it’s a friend-of-a-friend.. or at least, someone you could probably run into at a party (if you ever left your basement).
There’s a huge drop-off from there:
- 11% of the time, you added somebody because of business networking
- 8% – because you thought they were cute
- 7% – because you friend Everyone, regardless of who they are.
So let’s get to the meat of today’s topic – why were you suddenly dropped as a friend?
- 55% of the time, people are dropped because they said something offensive
- 41% of the time, you were dropped because someone was going through a Facebook Purge and decided they didn’t know you well enough to keep you around. That’s fair.
- 39% – it was a spammer trying to sell something
- 23% – depressing comments
- 20% – no comments.
- 14% – political comments
- 11% – breakup or divorce
- 8% – don’t like their friends
- 6% – you update your profile too often
- 3% – you didn’t update your profile often enough
So let’s break it down a bit more simply: you were dropped because you either (a) said something stupid; (b) didn’t post enough; (c) or posted too often.
Yeah, Facebook is just like real life, isn’t it? Who needs to go online to be treated poorly by your friends when you can do it over beers at the local bar and have more fun doing it?