The other day, Web Watch was chatting with a friend when she said that she “often” does stuff.
But she didn’t say “off-en”, she said “off-ten”. In other words, she pronounced the “T” in “often”.
It’s understandable. It’s a common mistake. It’s certainly wrong, but she didn’t know. She always that that she was pronouncing it perfectly. Now she’s totally embarassed, wondering what else she had been saying that she has been pronouncing wrong all these years.
So Web Watch showed her this LIST OF THE 100 MOST OFTEN MISPRONOUNCED ENGLISH WORDS AND PHRASES, and she was shocked at how many words and phrases she had been mispronouncing.
How many of these are you guilty of mangling?
- et cetera
Yeah, you thought you had these correct all these years too, didn’t you? Check out the other 90 mispronounced words and phrases… along with what those common mispronounciations are that you should be avoiding.
- The 100 funniest words in the English language
- How many vowels are there in the English alphabet? If you answered “5”, you may be wrong
- Words I Love. Words I Hate. Literally.
- Book Review: Family Words, the Secret Language of Families
- Why your 2-year-old is cussing you out, and the 10 most frequently used curse words
- Words that are not needed: “Baby Daddy”, “Mancave”, and “Vajayjay”. (Vajazzle, you’re okay)