How many sexual partners have you had over your lifetime?
Whether it’s just zero or one, or more than 100, the number of partners that you’ve engaged with has made you who you are today – for better or for worse (although we hope it’s for the better, no matter which your choice has been).
But while you may (or may not) be comfortable with the number of partners you’ve had, you still have to deal with others’ perception of you based on that number.
And Web Watch isn’t even talking about in the bedroom or on the first date when the topic most often comes up in new relationships – you know, that inevitable “how many people have you slept with” conversation.
No, we’re talking about the perception of you by others once they learn of what your magic number happens to be.
A RECENT STUDY FROM CORNELL UNIVERSITY talked about people’s judgement of promiscuous women. And it shows that people can be a relatively judgemental lot.
Study participants were shown an image of “Joan” and then asked to rate her. Two different groups were given the exact same information about Joan, except one group was told that she had slept with just two people in her lifetime, while the other group was told that Joan slept around a bit more – and had 20 partners.
The group that saw Joan as a little bit of a slut said that Joan was less competent than the more virginal Joan.
Again, it’s all perception.
They also rated Slut Joan as being more warm, emotionally stable, and dominant than the Joan the Non-Slut – traits which many view as being positive.
- Men are most concerned about their size… where?
- Something to look forward to: 80-year-old women are satisfied with their sex lives
- Science proves what women have been saying all along: size does matter
- Hear that biological clock ticking? It’s your body telling you to have more sex.
- Study: Women suppress the sexuality of other women
- News flash: naked men and naked women are viewed as being more vulnerable than when clothed