With all the recent news about major gender-related crimes and intolerable acts against women in India and other countries, Web Watch thought it would be worthwhile to point out that this is not new news at all.
Women have been fighting against cultural bias for years – decades – longer… and this doesn’t, shouldn’t be the case in this day and age.
We’re going to point Web Watch readers to THIS 2011 SURVEY that still holds true if all those news reports this year are accurate. Based on results from over 200 gender experts around the world, here are the FIVE WORST COUNTRIES TO BE A WOMAN:
- Afghanistan — 87% of women are illiterate
- Congo – sexual violence is rampant
- Pakistan — still participates in stoning of women
- India — as the survey says, it may be the “world’s largest democracy, but the fourth most dangerous place to be a woman”
Read the entire report at the above link. It should make you angry.
For a contrary viewpoint, here are some BEST PLACES IN THE WORLD TO BE A WOMAN:
- Overall winner: Iceland
- Best place to be a mother: Norway
- Best place to be head of state: Sri Lanka
- Best place to give birth: Greece
- Best place to be an athlete: United States
- Best place for education: Qatar
- The 11 Worst Companies in America to Work For
- Who does the most unpaid work around the world? (hint: it ain’t the US)
- Top Five Unhappiest Places to Work
- Top Ten Places to Raise a Family
- A Russian woman gave birth to 69(!) children… and other surprising statistics
- Canada is not just America’s Hat – they’re number one in the world!