Everyone has a MOST PLAYED or FAVORITE iTunes playlist that you listen to on a regular basis. Heck, that’s what the music industry is all about — getting you to buy (and play) your favorites over and over again.
It doesn’t matter how you listen — local radio, Pandora, your iPod — as long as you listen. Nobody wants to hear crap music.
Then again, what’s crap to you is music gold for someone else. Not everyone loves opera singing or country music, but there are opera and country fans out there.
So take the time to play the iTunes NEVER PLAYED playlist. You’re likely going to find music that falls into one of two categories:
- Hey, this is good. I forgot I had it.
- OMG, I can’t believe I ever bought that. I hope nobody notices that I played it
Today we’re going to talk about music that falls into that latter category. Our friends over at SALON have come up with their list of the 15 MOST HATED BANDS OF THE LAST 30 YEARS.
Thirty years really isn’t that long a period of time — but it’s generally considered a generation. So what Salon is looking at are the MOST HATED BANDS OF THIS GENERATION. We can deal with this, ’cause limiting to just those bands from 1983 through 2013 means we don’t have to suffer through any list of 60’s or 70’s artists that don’t deserve our hatred as they head out on profitable reunion tours to fund their retirement.
Let’s see who made the list, which appears to not be in any particular order. You’ll want to click through to see Salon’s reasoning behind each artist’s appearance on the list.
Lots of questions are raised here: How many of these bands have you seen live? How many albums from these artists do you own? And how many of their songs are already on your Favorites or Most Played iTunes playlist? Did Salon get their list right? Who should they have listed instead?
- 98 Degrees
- Smash Mouth
- Black Eyed Peas
- Insane Clown Posse
- Hootie and the Blowfish
- Goo Goo Dolls
- John Mayer
- Dave Matthews Band
- Limp Bizkit
- Blik 182
- Lana Del Ray
- Quiz time: What do Nickleback, Justin Bieber, and Lady Gaga all have in common?
- The 25 Most Common Clown Names are not a laughing matter
- 21 words of advice for touring musicians: #2 on the list? Claim your farts
- Top Paid Musicians of 2012 (here’s a hint: it’s not all from Youtube or iTunes)
- Six Degrees of Separation of John Mayer’s Junk
- How much does Pandora pay musicians?