Web Watch has a friend who used to own a pet parakeet.
We say “used to”, as Alvin wasn’t very happy to be kept in his cage. So every few days, our friend would let Alvin the Parakeet fly around the apartment – just because he could.
This arrangement seemed to work out well for Alvin. Until one day when our friend opened up Alvin’s cage door like he has done dozens upon dozens of times before… and Alvin flew straight out the apartment’s sliding glass door that our friend inadvertently left open.
Alvin was never seen again.
This was a traumatic time, apparently, but our friend never did get a replacement bird. Alvin, it seems, was one of a kind. We sometimes wonder how long Alvin lasted in that vast urban environment he suddenly found himself a part of. Was he happy? Did he find love? Was he eaten within a day?
The thing is, parakeets are bred to be kept safe and sound indoors. Some people like to keep falcons or hawks around, but not necessarily inside. Parrots are common, but they aren’t going to fly away as long as crackers are available.
But what about owls? Why do you never see anyone with an owl cage inside their home?
Maybe it’s because people paid attention to the INTERNATIONAL OWL CENTER’S list of 10 REASONS YOU DO NOT WANT AN OWL FOR A PET.
Among those reasons listed:
- Taking a vacation is difficult – you just can’t take the owl with you. Permits are needed to cross state lines!
- Owls are destructive — they will attack to kill blankets, pillows, stuffed animals. Makes you wonder how Winnie the Pooh was able to survive as long as he had with Owl as one of his close friends and advisors.
- You can’t hug an owl
- There’s no such thing as OWL CHOW. Owls like to eat meat
- Owl poop is, from the description listed on the site, rather nasty and constant. And they barf. Owl poop and owl barf together? Who wouldn’t want to deal with this as a pet?
- Top 10 Reasons You Are No Longer a Facebook Friend
- Top reasons why people shouldn’t rush into marriage
- 10 Reasons to Date a Unicorn. 9 Reasons not to Date a Dinosaur.
- 99 reasons why Cosmopolitan is the funniest magazine, ever
- 9 Reasons why Old People Smell the Way They Do
- Reasons why you’re still not married