Remember when we explained why HOTELS ARE STARTING TO CHARGE MORE FOR INTERNET ACCESS THAN ADULT TV CHANNELS or other amenties?
Let’s take a deeper look at what you get for your daily $30 “Resort Fee” and whether it’s worth it to pay for that hotel Internet access or if you should head down to the local coffee shop instead.
Networking site OPEN SIGNAL did that digging and compared HOTEL INTERNET PRICING vs ACTUAL DOWNLOAD SPEEDS to see if there was a correlation between the cost you pay for that WiFi and whether you can get any value for that money.
For the three MOST EXPENSIVE hotel rooms in the report — Disney (in-room), Hyatt, and Disney (guest access)… it was the PAID FOR, IN-ROOM DISNEY Internet access that was the slowest, at just 1.6 mpbs download speed. In terms of how that compares to other hotels in the report across all price ranges, only MOTEL 6 had a slower download speed.
While Hyatt was fairly respectable at 4.5 mbps, the surprise of the Disney Guest Access WiFi is that it was the 2nd FASTEST download speed in the report, at 7.8 mbps.
So what does this mean? If you’re visiting the Mouse, you’re better off connecting to their public WiFi instead of using their in-room access.
The fastest WiFi hotel speed in the report was Hilton’s hhonors network.
Other fast WiFi hotels that you should consider are:
- Marriott Springhill Suites (Springhill_GUEST)
- Towne Place Marriott (TownePlace_GUEST)
- Drury Hotels (DruryHotels)
- Marriott (Marriott_GUEST)
- Marriott Courtyard (Courtyard_GUEST)
After the Motel 6 and Disney experiences, other slow hotel networks include:
- Comfort Inn
- Days Inn
- Quality Inn
- Holiday Inn
Luckily for you slow hotel WiFi users… there’s often a McDonald’s not too far away. Also according to this same report, McDonald’s WiFi is at a respectable 4.0 mbps. So go out, have a burger, and get some work down while you’re out on the road.
- Why is hotel Internet access so expensive? Blame pay-per-view movies
- Progress City – A Response
- Have you ever stolen something from a hotel? Or just leave your underwear behind?
- The winner of the 2010 dirtiest hotel in America is in San Francisco. Are you surprised, or not?
- Man sues Hotel over “free” Newspaper
- How dirty is your hotel room?