All across America, bedroom closets are stuffed to the gills with merchandise, old outfits, dust bunnies, clothes that are too small, too big, too worn, too outdated — too young, too old…
When it gets down to it, people don’t know what they should really do with their closet. We’re here to help.
After you’ve gone through the process of clearing out your closet of all that junk, it’s time to really figure out what type of wardrobe you should be putting back into the closet.
And what you choose comes down to THESE 10 BASIC WARDROBE / FASHION PRINCIPLES that anyone can follow to get their closet back into some semblance of order.
Everything you put into your closet should meet these criteria:
- Only put things in your closet that are PERFECT. Toss out anything that’s merely “good” or “ok”
- Only put things in your closet that meet your personal style
- Measure the quality of your wardrobe. Pay a little extra for higher quality garments to wear more often, and toss the rest.
- Be yourself. Make your own look and try not to conform
- Everything you put in your closet should be functional, fit well, do what they’re supposed to do
- When evaluating fashion trends, always consider your personal style first. If that trend doesn’t meet your style, ignore it
- Take the time to make your wardrobe work. You can’t just do it willy-nilly as time allows.
- Aim for maximum versatility. Everything should work with almost everything else in some manner
- Comfort above all else
- Keep things fresh, re-evaluating your closet contents about twice a year
It’s that last comment that should help you keep your closet clear as years go on. A closet is not something that should be continually added to — you have to subtract things on a regular basis as well.
Click through to the linked page for more insights on these ten wardrobe steps and how to apply them to your current sartorial situation.
- Five items men should never wear, ever again
- Do you know how to dress yourself? Chances are, not so much
- Christmas in July: How to Create a Synchronized Light Show
- How to create a happy soundtrack for your app
- Chicken Diapers: the perfect gift
- How to perform the “Perfect Handshake” according to math experts, and other handshaking stats