Identifying food trends are a lot of fun. You get to eat a lot, try new things. Sometimes try old things.
You know what they say – the more things change, the more they stay the same. And we can thank hipsters for keeping us grounded in what good, old-timey food is all about.
So what are some of the FOOD TRENDS FOR NEXT YEAR that we should be looking forward to seeing at our funky neighborhood dive bars and fancy upscale restaurants?
- Pistachios – nuts never go out of style
- Pimm’s Cup
- Shaved ice desserts – think fancy ones, rather than Snoopy snowcones
- Flavored salts
- Fermented food – fermented garlic is a thing
- Savory ice creams and yogurts – no, no, no. Ice cream should never be savory. Blech.
- Insect protein bars – Blech, again.
- Plant-based proteins – More blech.
- Protein in general
- Savory waffles and waffle sandwiches – While a waffle sandwich sounds interesting (waffle burgers to compete with donut burgers?), waffles should be
- Matcha (what the hell is this?)
What type of food are you looking forward to trying in the next year?