By now, everybody knows that the first music video played on MTV was VIDEO KILLED THE RADIO STAR. Yeah, yeah – how ironic.
BUT… do you know what the SECOND video to play on MTV was?
It was Pat Benatar’s YOU BETTER RUN.
That was quickly followed by the rest of the FIRST 25 VIDEOS TO PLAY ON MTV: (here’s just a few, in no order…)
- Rod Stewart: She won’t dance with me
- The Who: you better you bet
- PH.D. : Little Suzi’s on the Up
- Cliff Richard: We don’t talk anymore
- The Pretenders: Brass in Pocket
- Styx: Rocking the Paradise
- Phil Collins: In the Air Tonight
- Stevie Nicks/Tom Petty: Stop draggin my heart around
- and… ROD STEWART, AGAIN????? — MTV played two Rod Stewart songs in the first 25 videos. Kinda gives you an idea of what life was like in the early eighties…
Previously, Web Watch told you about the MOST POPULAR WORDS IN SONG LYRICS OVER THE DECADES.
Perhaps we should back off a smidge and look at the SONG TITLES themselves. Continue reading THE MOST POPULAR WORDS IN SONG TITLES
Judging what the best Music Album of all time is can be very subjective. What is, um, music to one person’s ears can sound like cat-scratching to others.
But when you consolidate every single BEST OF list into a single collaborative source… then maybe you’ve got something. Continue reading THE BEST ALBUM OF ALL TIME, OF ALL TIME!
Mashups are fun, aren’t they?
Check out how closely Taylor Swift’s 22 lines up with Semisonic’s CLOSING TIME:
Kinda reminds you of that old GENIE IN A BOTTLE vs THE STROKES mashup from years ago, doesn’t it?
If you liked DJ EARWORM‘s annual end of year mashup, then why not give a listen to ISOSINE’s NONSTOP POP 2014 MASHUP too? Continue reading VIDEO FUN: NON-STOP POP BY ISOSINE
You’ve waited all year for this. So here you go:
DJ Earworm : United States of Pop 2014
- A Great Big World feat. Christina Aguilera – Say Something
- Ariana Grande feat. Iggy Azalea – Problem
- Bastille – Pompeii
- Dj Snake & Lil Jon – Turn Down For What
- Hozier – Take Me to Church
- Idina Menzel – Let It Go
- Iggy Azalea feat. Charli XCX – Fancy
- Iggy Azalea feat. Rita Ora – Black Widow
- Jason Derulo feat. 2 Chainz – Talk Dirty
- Jeremih feat. YG – Don’t Tell ‘Em
- Jessie J feat. Ariana Grande & Nicki Minaj – Bang Bang
- John Legend – All Of Me
- Katy Perry feat. Juicy J – Dark Horse
- Lorde – Team
- Magic! – Rude
- Maroon 5 – Animals
- Meghan Trainor – All About That Bass
- Nico & Vinz – Am I Wrong
- One Direction – Story of My Life
- Passenger – Let Her Go
- Pharrell Williams – Happy
- Pitbull feat. Ke$ha – Timber
- Sam Smith – stay with me
- Taylor Swift – Shake It Off
- Tove Lo – Habits
What podcasts do you listen to?
Do you get them free, or do you bother to pay for them?
Podcast Studio Continue reading HOW MUCH MONEY DO PODCASTS MAKE?
Freaks (Timmy Trumpet & Savage) – Dad and Toby
From the film ST VINCENT, Bill Murray sings Bob Dylan.
What’s not to love?
If a song has sold over one million copies, it’s considered a “great selling single”.
And one would think that you would know every single song that would be considered a TOP SELLING SINGLE OF ALL TIME, right?
Continue reading THE TOP 25 BEST SELLING SINGLES OF ALL TIME. (OF ALL TIME!)
Do you have a favorite musician?
Of course you do.
And if it was a one-hit or two-hit wonder (Chumbawumba or Men Without Hats come to mind), you’re often finding yourself in drunken esoteric arguments over why you enjoy their music so much.
How underrated these bands were.
How awesome it would be if you could get them to play at your wedding some day.
Continue reading WHAT DO BOB DYLAN, PRINCE, BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN, AND JUSTIN TIMBERLAKE HAVE IN COMMON?
Here’s a fun one for you.
Watch KASABIAN sing their own mashup of the Theme Song to Sesame Street with The Beach Boys’ GOOD VIBRATIONS.
Who knew? Continue reading VIDEO FUN: THE SESAME STREET THEME SONG / GOOD VIBRATIONS MASHUP
How well do you know your music?
You claim that you listen to the radio because you love to hear songs and not people talking, so it’s time to put your money where your mouth is.
Name That Tune Continue reading NAME THAT TUNE: THE ONE SECOND EDITION
How many of you still own some vinyl? (Record albums, for those of you who don’t remember, are how people listened to music before cassette tapes or CDs came along)
And of the albums you own, which one do you feel is the rarest? The most expensive for you to have to replace, if you were able to hunt a copy down somewhere?
The Quarrymen – The Band that started The Beatles
Continue reading TOP TEN RECORD ALBUMS WORTH THE MOST MONEY