“What’s your sign?”
What has been derided as an overused, cliche’d pick-up line may be of some use now, as ASTRONOMERS IN MINNESOTA HAVE DETERMINED THAT THE HOROSCOPE DATES MAY HAVE SHIFTED.
Here’s what’s happened: the zodiac horoscope signs that we all grew up with were created by the Babylonians, dependent on what segment of the sky the sun was in on the day you were born.
However, in the hundreds of years since then, the Earth has gone a little wonky on its orbit (mainly due to the Moon’s gravitational pull), and the days that the Babylons used for their zodiac signs are no longer the same as when we look at the sky today. In fact, dates seem to be about one month off from the originals.
At least, this is what Parke Kunkle, a board member of the Minnesota Planetarium Society had to say.
To help you out, here are the 12 Babylonian horoscope signs and dates that we all know so well:
- Capricorn: December 22 – January 19
- Aquarius: January 20 – February 18
- Pisces: February 19 – March 20
- Aries: March 21 – April 19
- Taurus: April 20 – May 20
- Gemini May 21 – June 20
- Cancer: June 21 – July 22
- Leo: July 23 – August 22
- Virgo: August 23 – September 22
- Libra: September 23 – October 22
- Scorpio: October 23 – November 21
- Sagittarius: November 22 – December 21
And here are what the new horoscope signs should be, based on the Earth’s current positioning and where the Sun appears in the sky:
- Capricorn: Jan. 20-Feb. 16
- Aquarius: Feb. 16-March 11
- Pisces: March 11-April 18
- Aries: April 18-May 13
- Taurus: May 13-June 21
- Gemini: June 21-July 20
- Cancer: July 20-Aug. 10
- Leo: Aug. 10-Sept. 16
- Virgo: Sept. 16-Oct. 30
- Libra: Oct. 30-Nov. 23
- Scorpio: Nov. 23-29
- Ophiuchus: Nov. 29-Dec. 17
- Sagittarius: Dec. 17-Jan. 20.
Web Watch knows what you’re wondering – who the hell is Ophiuchus? Hey, it’s a new horoscope sign, based on what we’re seeing in the sky. Besides, the Babylonians knew about Ophiuchus, but discarded that as a sign as they wanted to stick with just 12 astrological signs per year.
- A Sign She Wants to Be More than Just Friends: sometimes “hanging out” is “dating”
- True Fact: The most boring day ever was April 11, 1954
- Hey guys – Men need to check for breast cancer too!
- Today’s suggestion: look under your vehicle for penguins
- Movember: Grow a Mustache for Charity
- Scrotal cancer is not a laughing matter (Chim Chim Cher-ee)