As we head into a new year, you may have on your list of New Year’s Resolutions to “get promoted at work”.
While working hard and getting recognized for the job that you do while at the office is only part of the way to advance your career – you may want to take a look at some of the esoteric things.
Apparently, according to CareerBuilder: APPEARANCE DOES MATTER WHEN IT COMES TO DECIDING WHO SHOULD ADVANCE TO SENIOR MANAGEMENT.
Here are some of the results they found from a recent survey of hiring managers looking to fill senior management positions:
- Business Casual was the dominant dress style, at 63%. Only 14% wore a suit
- Color choice was important, with navy blue and black coming at 36% and 26% respectively. Women predominately wore black vs men (51% vs 18%), while men chose the navy (41% to 21%).
- Not surprisingly, taking a cab to work was low on the listed commute methods, at 1%. SUVs were the most popular transportation vehicles, at 27%
- When attending an office happy hour, 26% would choose wine…. but 1/3 of those surveyed said that they don’t drink at all at company events… while 20% said that they avoid company happy hours entirely
- And for those of you who are follically-challenged, only 7% of senior management has a shaved or bald head.