Web Watch knows the secret to writing The Perfect Pop Song.
Aside from what Web Watch has already told you about The Perfect Pop Song, if you are really serious about wanting to be a song writer, it all boils down to this — all you really need to know is that EVERY POP SONG EVER WRITTEN HAS USED ONLY FOUR CHORDS.
It’s more of a progression, really, as it depends on what key you’re working in.
If you’re dealing with pop in the key of E-Major, then you’re looking at chords E – B – C#m – A.
Want the key of C instead? Then you’re going to go C – G – Am – F.
(Try it – whip out your iPhone or Android and fire up your handy guitar app. We know you have one handy. That’s okay, take your time… we’ll wait for you.)
As long as your chords are in the I – V – vi – IV progression, you’re fine. Other song styles have other progression sets, such as “Country Rap” using the three chord progression I – IV – V – I (which would be E – B – A – E or C – G- F – C if we’re using the keys shown above).
Play around with different sets and keys until you find the one you like. The point is that you won’t need more than four chords to make The Perfect Song.
You might not think that this holds true – but watch these videos that explain how it seems like Every Song Ever Written seems to have been written with the exact same chords:
AXIS OF AWESOME, ver 1
AXIS OF AWESOME, ver 2
Some of the songs featured in the above videos that all use the same chord progressions include:
- Vitamin C – Graduation
- Aerosmith – Crying
- Coven – One Tin Soldier
- Blues Traveler – Hook
- Green Day – Basket Case
- Matchbox 20 – Push
- Bush – Machinehead
- U2 – With or Without you
- Natalie Imbruglia – Torn
- Avril Lavigne – Sk8er Boy
- Twisted Sister – We’re not gonna Take it
- Better than Ezra – Good
- Bob Marley – No Woman no Cry
- Beatles – Let it be
- Journey – Don’t Stop Believing
- James Blunt – You’re Beautiful
- Alphaville – Forever Young
- Jason Mraz – I’m Yours
- Mika – Happy Ending
- Alex Lloyd – Amazing
- The Calling – Wherever You Will Go
- Elton John – Can You Feel The Love Tonight
- Maroon 5 – She Will Be Loved
- The Last Goodnight – Pictures of You
- Crowded House – Fall At Your Feet
- Kasey Chambers – Not Pretty Enough
- Red Hot Chili Peppers – Under the Bridge
- Daryl Braithwaite – The Horses
- Marcy Playground – Sex and Candy
- Men At Work – Down Under
- A-Ha – Take On Me
- Eagle Eye Cherry – Save Tonight
- Toto – Africa
- Beyonce – If I Were a Boy
- The Offspring – You’re Gonna Go Far Kid
- Pink – U and UR Hand
- Lady Gaga – Pokerface
- Aqua – Barbie Girl
- The Fray – You Found Me
- 30h!3 – Don’t Trust Me
- MGMT – Kids
- Five for Fighting – Superman