Web Watch was looking at plants at the local nursery the other day, and we couldn’t help but say, “Get me a shrubbery!” to the salesperson who was trying to help us.
Needless to say, we ended up making our own landscaping selections that day, and we can’t really say that we blame the retail shop for not providing a high level of customer service to any customer who decides that quoting Monty Python is the best way to get what we want.
But that’s how movie fans are.
Once we see a film with a great line of dialogue in it, we want to quote that line over and over. Run it into the ground, if we had the choice.
And it seems that Web Watch is not alone in this endeavor. Here is a LIST OF MOST-QUOTED MOVIE LINES, AS DONE BY MOVIE GEEKS, and the most common situations that one would hear these quotes made, including:
- When you hear a great idea: “I’d buy that for a dollar!” (Robocop)
- When talking about a large sum of money: “One MEEEEELLIONNNNNN dollars!” (with gratitious pinky gesture) (Austin Powers)
- When facing an insurmountable task: “Never tell me the odds.” (The Empire Strikes Back)
- Telling someone “no”: “I’m sorry, Dave. I’m afraid I can’t do that.” (2001)
- The first time your partner tells you they love you: “I know.” (The Empire Strikes Back)
- When describing how you conquered a difficult assignment: “We came, we saw, we kicked its ass!” (Ghostbusters)