Some people say that being a clown must be easy work.
Show up at a party, tell a few jokes, make some kids laugh, then get back into your clown car and drive away.
But it’s really not that simple, is it? Things like being a clown never are. .
That’s because according to the WORLD CLOWN ASSOCIATION there are some specific rules that clowns need to follow, especially if they want to participate in the annual WCA COMPETITION – may the Best Clown Win!
So what are the OFFICIAL CLOWN RULES OF CONDUCT that are listed as part of the annual clown competition rules? Let’s take a look:
- Conduct yourself as an asset to “quality clowning”
- Absolutely no alcohol consumption is allowed either prior to or while wearing clown makeup and clown wardrobe
- Absolutely no smoking or other tobacco use is allowed while in clown makeup and wardrobe and in public view
- All clowns must never use a prop or other item that might offend a general audience member or embarrass the World Clown Association
- Clowns are never to use live animals
- No pyrotechnics. No candles, lighters, matches, etc
Don’t laugh – clowns may be funny, but they take themselves very seriously.