Esquire’s book, A MAN’S GUIDE TO LIFE is just like THE MODERN MAN’S GUIDE TO LIFE or Denis Boyle‘s A MAN’S LIFE: THE COMPLETE INSTRUCTIONS – books filled with rules and helpful instructions to let any man prove that he is, in fact, A Man. Web Watch highly recommends offering any of these three books to graduating high school seniors (or even as bar mitzvah gifts, since that is when A Boy Becomes a Man).
But if you don’t have the time or foresight to obtain one of these three fabulous books before gift-giving season is upon us, you may still want to scroll through these 50 THINGS EVERYONE SHOULD LEARN HOW TO DO, because these 50 items are good, practical advice for anyone – man or woman – no matter what their age.
And this especially holds true if you decide to c0mpete or appear on a reality TV show. Here are how some of those fifty items hold up:
- Build a Fire. Because on Survivor, fire represents life. As long as you have fire, you’re still in the game.
- Operate a Computer and Learn to Type. Because Rod Blagojevich lost Celebrity Apprentice specifically because he couldn’t.
- Perform CPR. Save someone’s life, and they’ll be in your alliance forever
- Drive a Manual Transmission Vehicle. You don’t want to be eliminated on THE AMAZING RACE because you couldn’t drive a stick shift.
- Learn to cook. Cooking is easy. It’s gathering the food that’s hard. Besides, when Robert Irvine is yelling at you
- Tell a Story that Captivates People’s Attention. Lord knows that’s the only way Coach survived as long as he did
- Win or Avoid a Fistfight. It worked for Sookie, it can work for you
- Deliver Bad News. You’re Fired.
- Manage Time. Don’t all Food Network Challenges hosted by Chef Keegan come down to who managed their time better?
- Travel Light. See THE AMAZING RACE, again
- Swim. How many SURVIVOR challenges came down to who could compete in the swim portion of an immunity challenge better?
- Recognize Personal Alcohol Limits. Again, see Sookie
- Listen Carefully to Others Name a reality TV show where this ISN’T important?
- Recite Basic Geography. Study up on Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego? Or, risk being mocked by THE AMAZING RACE musical cue when you wonder aloud if something is a city or a country.
- Be a Respectful House Guest – Otherwise Julie Chen will have to “but first” you.
- End a Date Politely Without Making Promises . Because The Bachelor and Paradise Hotel aren’t the only dating shows where potential suitors were rejected. There was FOX’s MR PERSONALITY as well