Check out the MOSES AVALON MUSIC ROYALTY CALCULATOR to see if you’re getting screwed before you sign your band away.
All you need to know is:
- how much the advance is
- retail price of the record. CD pricing averages to around $11.98 apiece, and indie record deals expect that 80% of your sales to come from CDs.
- What the royalty paid to you is
- How big a promotional budget will you have? This is monty that is coming directly out of your pocket, so spend wisely.
- Producer’s payout.
- Producer paid from record one
- Label costs
- Packaging deductions
- Percentage of Sales royalties are calculated on
The calculator will determine, based on the info you’ve provided, how much money is made on each actual sale and how many sales you need to have before you start making money. Of course, this is only going to be a rough estimate – your actual successes may vary.